Bombay Fish Curry – Healthy Recipes
March 30, 2022
In India, the word “curry” refers to a stew, not a spice that comes in a jar. This recipe is a warming, comforting fish stew enrobed in Indian spices and creamy coconut milk. It is a perfect dish to get cozy with on a cold night.
Cuisine type: Indian
Author: Ed Bauman PhD
Cooking time: 20 minutes
Active preparation time: 15 minutes
Number of servings: 6
Dish type: Main
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1 cup vegetable stock, preferably homemade
- 2 medium shallots, thinly sliced
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sea salt or to taste
- 1 teaspoon pure chili powder
- 1 to 2 small jalapeños, seeded and minced (for more heat, use serrano chilies)
- 1 tablespoon tamarind paste mixed with 1 tablespoon filtered water, or 2 dried apricots in 1 tablespoon filtered water, enough to make a paste
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 pounds white fish fillets, skinned, cut into large chunks
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄2 cup chopped cilantro, for garnish
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cardamom
Using a mortar and pestle or small food processor, make a paste of the garlic, jalapeño, chile powder, turmeric, cinnamon, coriander, cardamom, tamarind (or apricots), water, and salt.
Spread the paste over the fish and set it aside in the fridge for 1 hour to overnight.
Just before mealtime, heat the oil on medium heat in a pan large enough to hold the fish in a single layer. Sauté the sliced shallots until golden.
Add the coconut milk and vegetable stock and stir to combine. Add the marinated fish and reduce the heat to low.
Cover and simmer gently for 10 to 12 minutes, until the fish is cooked through. Do not let the liquid come to a full boil. Taste and adjust seasoning by adding salt and blending seasonings to taste: either mild, medium, or spicy.
Transfer the fish to a serving platter and garnish with fresh cilantro. Serve over Cardamom Scented Basmati Rice.
Discover other delicious healthy recipes by downloading the Foogal app on Google Play and the App Store.
Learn more about how Foogal can help you improve your health and prevent and manage diseases through healthy eating.