Frisée Salad with Poached Eggs and Maple Roasted Bacon – Autoimmune Protocol Recipes
January 13, 2022
A variation on the classic French bistro salad Frisée aux Lardons. Bacon can be done ahead as well as the eggs. To do eggs ahead, when eggs are just set, simply place in ice water and reheat in simmering water for a few seconds at serving time.
Mealtime: Lunch, dinner
Cuisine type: French
Author: John Ash
Cooking time: 25 minutes
Active preparation time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 4
Dish type: Main
- 8 strips thick sliced bacon
- 1/2 cup maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons white wine vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 1 tablespoon finely chopped shallot
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice or to taste
- 2 teaspoons grainy Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon sugar or to taste
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 6 gently packed cups of frisée greens, torn into medium sized pieces
- 1 small bunch upland cress, roots discarded
Separate raw bacon strips and blot dry with paper towels. Coat both sides of bacon liberally with maple syrup. Lay bacon in a single layer on a sheet pan with parchment or a silicon baking mat.
Cook bacon in a preheated 400° oven, turning once, until browned and lacquered, about 12 minutes. Cut slices into thirds and set aside.
Prepare eggs for poaching: Bring a 4-quart skillet of water to a boil; add vinegar; reduce heat to medium-low. Crack each egg into its own ramekin and set it aside. (Don’t cook the eggs yet.)
In a medium bowl, whisk together shallots, lemon juice, mustard, sugar, and olive oil. Season to your taste with salt and pepper. In a large bowl, toss frisée and cress with vinaigrette to your taste. Divide greens and bacon between 4 plates.
Slide the eggs into the water and cook until just firm, about 3 minutes. Using a slotted spoon to drain the eggs, top the salads with an egg and season with salt and pepper, to your taste.
Tips and Notes:
- This recipe contains eggs and seeds.
- Eggs can be poached ahead and stored refrigerated in ice water. To serve: place the eggs in barely simmering water for 30 seconds before topping the salad.
Discover other autoimmune recipes by downloading the Foogal app on Google Play and the App Store.
Learn more about how Foogal can help you improve your health and prevent and manage diseases through healthy eating.