Open Faced Italian-Style Sandwich – Healthy Breakfast Recipes
February 3, 2022
Easy to prepare, and satisfying. Wonderful for breakfast or lunch.
Mealtime: Breakfast, lunch
Cuisine type: Mediterranean, Italian
Cooking time: 10 minutes
Number of servings: 4
Dish type: Main
Nutrition per serving:
Calories: 334.17 kcal
Carbohydrates: 20.46 grams
Fat: 19.19 grams
Protein: 19.17 grams
- 1 cup part-skim ricotta cheese
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano, more for later
- 4 slices hearty Italian bread, toasted
- 4 to 8 fresh basil leaves
- 1 Roma tomato, sliced
- 3 radishes, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons roasted red pepper in oil, drained
- 4 prosciutto slices (or your favorite Italian cured meat)
- 4 poached eggs
- 1 tablespoon crushed shelled pistachios
Place the ricotta cheese in a small mixing bowl. Add the olive oil, dried oregano, salt and pepper, to taste. Whip with a fork.
Spread the whipped ricotta cheese on the toasted Italian bread. Top with the remaining ingredients in the order listed (the poached eggs and a garnish of shelled pistachios are added at the very end). Enjoy!
Tips and Notes:
- This is a great nutrient dense meal containing a protein, carbohydrate, and healthy fat that will work together to help keep your body full and satisfied for a longer duration when eaten together.
Discover other healthy breakfast recipes by downloading the Foogal app on Google Play and the App Store.
Learn more about how Foogal can help you improve your health and prevent and manage diseases through healthy eating.