Turkey Piccata Stir Fry – Healthy Recipes
February 11, 2022
The technique of stir-frying is a good way to cook lean cuts of meat and poultry, such as turkey breast. Limiting the amount of time the turkey spends over high heat helps keep the meat tender and juicy. Serving suggestion: Stir fry with veggies and serve over rice or polenta.
Mealtime: Lunch, dinner
Cuisine type: Italian
Author: UC Berkeley Wellness Kitchen
Cooking time: 17 minutes
Active preparation time: 15 minutes
Number of servings: 4
Dish type: Main
Nutrition per serving:
Calories: 188.73 kcal
Carbohydrates: 6.34 grams
Fat: 4.52 grams
Protein: 30.35 grams
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 ounces prosciutto or Canadian bacon, diced (about 6 tablespoons)
- 1 pound turkey cutlets, cut into ½ inch wide strips
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- ¼ cup fresh lemon juice
- 1¼ cups chicken broth, homemade or canned
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch blended with 1 tablespoon water
In a large nonstick skillet, heat the oil over medium heat. Add the prosciutto and cook until it is lightly crisped about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the prosciutto to a plate.
Dredge the turkey in the flour, shaking off the excess. Add the turkey to the skillet and stir-fry until golden brown and just cooked through, about 2 minutes. With a slotted spoon, transfer the turkey to the plate with the prosciutto.
Add the garlic and cook until tender, about 1 minute. Add the lemon juice, scraping up any browned bits from the bottom of the pan. Add the broth and salt, and bring to a boil. Boil 1 minute.
Add the cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring, until the sauce is slightly thickened, about 1 minute. Return the prosciutto and turkey to the pan and cook just until heated through, about 1 minute.
Tips and Notes:
- Even healthier: No salt or salt to taste, use whole-grain flour, use low sodium or sodium-free chicken broth
- Options: Use gluten-free flour and gluten-free orzo to make gluten-free
- Different Spins: Shrimp with Lemon & Prosciutto – Follow the directions for Turkey Piccata Stir-Fry, but substitute 1 pound shelled medium shrimp for the turkey. Cook the shrimp with the prosciutto in step 1 and remove it from the pan along with the prosciutto. Omit the flour and step 2. Substitute bottled clam juice for the chicken broth.
© 2022 Owned by or licensed from The Regents of the University of California
Discover other healthy recipes by downloading the Foogal app on Google Play and the App Store.
Learn more about how Foogal can help you improve your health and prevent and manage diseases through healthy eating.