Vegetable Bread Soup – Healthy Food Recipes
January 6, 2022
This is comfort food at its best. Delicious, full of nutrients and filling on a winter evening. For more healthy food recipes, download the Foogal app on Google Play and the App Store.
Mealtime: Lunch, dinner
Cuisine type: American
Cooking time: 1 hour and 30 minutes
Active preparation time: 30 minutes
Number of servings: 12
Dish type: Side, soup
- 1 bunch green swiss chard leaves julienne
- 1 small yellow turnip peeled, quartered and sliced 1/8 inch
- 1 white turnip peeled, quartered and sliced 1/8 inch
- 2 ½ quarts vegetable stock
- 8 ounces Idaho potato peeled and diced
- ½ onion –minced
- 2 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1 leek –sliced in 1/8 inch circles, washed well
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 croutons heated with soup to break up and thicken soup. Note:*
- 1×4 inch piece parmesan rind
- 1 celery root peeled, quartered and sliced 1/8
- Outer leaves of 1 small savoy cabbage rib out and sliced 1/8 inch
- 1 cup beans soaked overnight
Over medium heat, heat oil in a soup pot and add onion and garlic and cook until it starts to be aromatic.
Add celery root and both turnips and cook for 5 minutes stirring occasionally.
Add cabbage and leek and cook an additional 5 minutes.
Add beans, stock, and rind and simmer until beans are tender (about 1 hour).
Add potatoes and simmer until tender(5-8 minutes).
Add Swiss chard and wilt. Season with salt and pepper. Place a few croutons on the top if desired.
Discover more healthy food recipes by downloading the Foogal app on Google Play and the App Store.
Learn more about how Foogal can help you improve your health and prevent and manage diseases through healthy eating.